« 2016 PAPA Annual Gathering | Main | Daughters of Zion Cemetery Rededication »
Monday
Oct032016

Fluvanna County Tour

Pleasant Grove House Museum

On Saturday, September 24th, members enjoyed a tour of the newly restored Pleasant Grove House Museum. Marvin Moss, president of Fluvanna Historical Society, led our tour. The Pleasant Grove House Museum, which won our 2015 preservation award. Built in 1854, it is an excellent example of an adaptive reuse and public/private partnership project as it now houses both county offices and a museum. The house sits on a 936-acre farmsite adjacent to the Rivanna River. Now owned by Fluvanna County, the site offers a Heritage Trail and Pollinator and Community Gardens and hosts the Fluvanna Farmers Market and offers other park activities.

The second part of the program was a car tour through the distinctive village of Palmyra where important historic buildings, such as the Greek Revival courthouse and Old Stone Jail Museum, will be pointed out.

The tour ended with a visit to another wonderful National Register listed property, Glen Burnie, built in 1829 and now owned by our host Marvin Moss. It is an eclectic house architecturally that shares features of late Federal, Greek, Gothic and Jacobean revival styles. The house and 187 acres land are now under a permanent historic easement and includes the historic Glen Burnie Cemetery.

Attendees were invited also to take a tour of the gardens and the nearby chapel/guesthouse housing many Eastern Orthodox icons painted by Father Mefodii, one of the resident monks.

Glen Burnie